Needless to say, well-fitting shoes are essential for hiking. I personally like hiking shoes over hiking boots because I like my ankles free and usually they are lighter. So on most hikes, I wear hiking shoes or trail running shoes.
I’ve had my Women’s Salomon X-Mission 3 Trail Running shoes for over a year and put them to a test on different types of terrain.
- Brand: Salomon
- Style: Women’s X-Mission 3 Trail Running
- Color: Comes in different colors
- Retail Price: $115
- Weight: 1 lb 2 oz (pair)
Design – 4.5/5
- Molded, tailored EVA midsoles and thermoplastic urethane inserts provide enough cushioning and protection for both urban or trail environments
- 3D Grip multi-density outsoles with multi-pattern ensure confidence on wet or dry, hard or soft surfaces and excel in a trail environment
- SensiFit with quick-lace wraps over your instep; SensiFlex panels provide a snug, comfortable fit for agility in varying terrain
- Women-specific lasting ensures the shoes work with the natural shape of your feet, enhancing comfort and efficiency
- Breathable, abrasion-resistant nylon mesh uppers feature asymmetric synthetic leather overlays that wrap and secure insteps for a precise fit
- Polyester linings quickly wick moisture away from feet for enhanced comfort
- Foam insoles enhance comfort
Function – 5/5
I like shoes that don’t need a break-in period and that has been my experience with all Salomon shoes. Salomon X-Mission 3 Trail Running shoes weren’t any different. I took them out on a 5-mile hike right out of the box and loved them at the first step!
Right away I noticed the strong grip of the outsoles. Contagrip WT and Contagrip HA combination outsoles provide solid traction and tenacious grip as advertised. Even after a year of regular usage, I can still count on them on trails.
No more bouncing laces or double-knotted mess with the single quick-lace system with the lace pocket to hide the lace away.
They are light, soft, breathable, cushiony yet feels protective and super comfortable. These are my go-to shoes for traveling because they are great for walking around the town or trailblazing.
Quality and Durability – 4.5/5
Although the protective toe caps guard against bumps, it’s not made for very technical terrain. After a while, your toes and soles of your feet will be sore if you continuously hit rocks on a rocky trail. Not due to lack of quality but these are made for trail running on easy-moderate terrain after all. For serious hiking, I recommend durable hiking shoes with a rock plate in the toe box. After a year and a half, they still look great.
Fashion and Fit – 4/5
What I am wearing is
True to size. These fit like my Asics running shoes which I adore. It’s roomy in the toe box, snug on the sides and it perfectly hugs my heel. For reference, my shoe size is 7 in dress shoes, 7.5 in running shoes and 8 in hiking shoes and boots. Size 7.5 in these fit me perfectly. However, I know not everyone likes the ASICS fit. Someone with narrow feet might find the toe box too big.
Overall – 4.5/5
Salomon X-Mission 3 Trail Running shoes are super comfortable and versatile. They are well-made and durable for trail running and easy-moderate hikes as well as for wandering in town. With the strong grip of the outsoles, they are great for wet or dry conditions. If you like having a roomy toe box, you will love these!