I used my Stunt Puppy Stunt Runner Hands-Free Dog Leash for hiking until 6 months ago or so then slowly I stopped using it. It is a good product but it just wasn’t meeting my requirements any more. It would be still great for running – that is only if Xena would run with me. I would look ridiculous wearing this without a dog on the other end. I’ve been looking around for a replacement that is hands-free and expandable like Stunt Puppy but gives me more length. Then I came across Roamer from Ruffwear. After testing it out on three different hikes, I am sold. I like it a lot. It’s Stunt Puppy Stunt Runner and more.
Stunt Puppy Stunt Runner Hands-Free Dog Leash
- Connector is 3 feet long when not stretched
- Connector stretches up to about 4.5 feet
- Waist belt adjusts from 26 inches to 42 inches
- Great for running as it was created specifically for runners
- Good for hiking if your dog likes to hike very close to you
- I wore it around my hips because I don’t like anything around my waist. It tended to slide up. It might be ok if you wear it as a waist belt.
- When Xena moved from side to side, the waist belt didn’t move with her smoothly so I had to help it move. Otherwise, my shirt got tangled up.
- It is supposed to work with all sizes of dogs but you need to make sure that the distance between where you want to wear the waist belt and where your dog’s neck is (or his/her back if you are going to use the leash with a harness) is less than 3 feet.
- When I kept Xena off leash, I clipped the connector to the waist belt.
Ruffwear Roamer Expandable Dog Leash
- Ruffwear’s Wavelength™ webbing allows the leash to stretch as dogs roam
- Ergonomic design makes the Talon Clip easy to clip
- Adjustable padded handle, with side-release buckle, can be hand-held, waist-worn (sizes up to 42″ waist), or secured around a tree or post
- Available in two sizes: Large is 7.3 ft (2.2m), stretches to 11 ft (3.4m); Medium is 5.5 ft (1.7m), stretches to 7 ft (2.1m)
- I have a size Large and only use it for hands-free purpose so I can free up my hands for trekking poles or taking pictures. When I wear it around my hips like I did with Stunt Puppy, the leash is about 5.25 feet long when it’s not stretched.
- It is lighter than Stunt Puppy.
- I agree Talon Clip is a lot easier to clip. I didn’t have an issue with Stunt Puppy clip before but now I prefer Talon Clip.
- It stayed put during the hikes even with steep climbs. Also, it didn’t get twisted when Xena moved from side to side.
- I tried it as a regular leash for everyday use and I did not like it. It’s too long for that and did not like that it is expandable. It didn’t work for us.
- When I kept Xena off leash, I rolled up the leash loosely and put it away in one of my side pockets of the backpack while still wearing it around my hips. It never got in my way.
Overall, both are good products but for hiking, we both are happier with our new Ruffwear Roamer!